We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. New Work SE offers a wide range of brands, products and services for a better working life. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
Wherever you’re from, whatever your beliefs, and whomever you love - you’re always welcome at NEW WORK. We’re proud of our commitment to diversity because it makes us more creative and more productive. What counts is you as a person.
Software Engineer (m/f/x) Scala, Data
You will be part of an international team of Data Scientists, Data Engineers and Software Engineers that is responsible for turning data into services and products for XING's jobs market which is used by Millions of users. We work closely together in an agile setting and focus on improving our existing job recommender and job search and developing new data-driven services that benefit the users of XING's jobs market place. For example, we work on features that help job seekers to better understand who their future colleagues may be, models that help forecasting salaries, etc. We are now seeking an experienced Software Engineer (ideally experienced in Scala) who loves software development, helps with the design and development of scalable components and contributes to search services and recommender systems. We strive for building testable, predictable and simple code. By the way: Flexible remote work from Spain or Germany is possible.
- Work in a team with Data Engineers and Data Scientists to contribute to the (technical) design, implementation and evaluation of new algorithms, machine learning models and other data-driven features and services.
- Design and implement components in a sustainable fashion (e.g. having on observability, computational costs, ease of use, future maintenance costs).
- Build, deploy, monitor and operate services within our infrastructure, while automating processes.
- Use technologies like Scala, Kafka, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Hive, Spark and Hadoop.
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent Software Engineering experience.
- Very good programming skills in a JVM based language, like Scala, Java, Closure or Kotlin.
- Knowledge and experience in implementing scalable software and services which process large volume of data (e.g. real-time processing components, REST services), using search technologies (e.g., Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.), data storage (e.g. relational databases, key-value stores) and related data processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Akka, Play, etc.).
- Proficient English language skills (German is not required).
Nice to have:
- Experience in designing architectures and developing software components for distributed systems (e.g. in the context of micro-service architectures).
- Experience in building libraries, frameworks or platform services that other Software Engineers use.
- Good knowledge in SQL.
- Previous experience in working with recommender systems or search services.
- At senior level, proven track-record of building rock-solid data-driven solutions (i.e. fault-tolerant, highly reliable features, solutions which scale regarding volume of data, robustness regarding changing data characteristics, re-usable and easily extendable etc.).
Join us at our brand-new, innovative and dynamic office next to the River Elbe in Hamburg’s newest district, the Hafencity. Enjoy flexible working hours and the option to work up to 60% from mobile–office. Benefit from the many training and development opportunities, language courses and regular team events on offer. Take on an exciting role within a motivated and friendly team, coupled with the freedom you need to develop and share your own ideas. Quench your thirst with free drinks and excellent coffee, along with a canteen and a bar where you can meet up with colleagues. Train and meet new people by visiting the free gym. Get a smartphone or iPad you can also use privately. Explore the city of Hamburg in your free time with a subsidised HVV ProfiTicket. What’s not to like about all that?